Vincenzo Scamozzi, chiesa dei Tolentini (1590)

Venezia
Address
Santa Croce 181, Venezia
Access

Interior and exterior.

Free access. 8-12; 4pm-7pm

Data updated to 25.08.2016.

photo Vaclav Sedy

Scamozzi designed the church of San Nicolò da Tolentino in Venice for the Theatine friars, the order of monks for whom he had designed the church of San Gaetano in Padua ten years previously. The Venetian building blends the central plan with that of the Basilica. The lucid geometrical ‘clarity’ of the Gesù di Vignola church is the model of reference, besides the religious buildings constructed by Andrea Palladio in Venice. In particular, it is interesting to draw a comparison with the Redentore, whose masterful scenic sequence of spaces is here replaced by the immediate view of the entire volume of the church, while the more traditional orientation and articulation of the Palladian wall masses are replaced by a more modern ‘flanking’ of wall surfaces. Construction was suspended on account of a dispute with the Theatine monks, who accused Scamozzi of not having laid adequate foundations. Scamozzi’s dismissal as master of the works resulted in the original plans being altered.